Sheffield Volunteer Defence Corps Badge C1914 to 1916


This badge was worn by both the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Sheffield Volunteer Defence Corps from their inception through to redesignation as volunteer battalions of the York and Lancaster Regiment. 

Interestingly, this was worn as a cap badge by OR’s and as a collar badge by Officers. It is made of gilding metal and has a laurel wreath surrounding a shield with the arms of Sheffield (the sheaf of arrows and 3 wheat sheaves) surmounted by an Imperial Crown.  Beneath the wreath is a scroll with the letters SVDC (Sheffield Volunteer Defence Corps).  

The badge is on loops and has a makers tablet soldered onto the rear of the badge (JR Gaunt London).