The 19th Company of the Yorkshire West Riding Rifle Volunteer Corps was formed in Rotherham in 1859 with the 36th Company being formed the following year (also in Rotherham). Both companies became part of the 4th Administrative Battalion West Riding Rifle Volunteer Corps in 1860. The 4th Administrative Battalion were consolidated into the 8th Yorkshire West Riding Volunteer Corps in 1880.
After becoming linked to the York and Lancaster Regiment in 1881 the companies became part of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion and then in 1908, part of the 5th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment.
Very few records exist relating to these Corps let alone their insignia. This Shoulder Belt Plate is one of the few items known to exist and was worn by either or possibly both Corps until they became part of the York and Lancaster Regiment in 1881.
It is a one piece die stamped white metal plate with a Queen Victoria Crown. The strap on the plate has on it the words ‘Rotherham Volunteer Rifles’ and in the centre, a shield showing 3 cannons. The cannons are derived from the Arms of the County Borough of Rotherham.
It is of the same design as the bronze NCO's Shoulder Belt Plate.