Volunteer (and later Territorial) Battalions wore their own collar badges.
The 1901 Regulations for the Volunteer Force were clear that volunteer battalions should differentiate themselves from their regular counterparts by wearing the same pattern of badge but in different metals:
“Honours worn in line battalions will not be worn by volunteers. With this exception badges of the design worn in the line battalions may be adopted by volunteer battalions. They will be entirely in silver, white metal or bronze.”
In line with these regulations, 1st and 2nd Volunteer Battalion collar badges were made in reversed metals to that of regular battalions.
In keeping with the rules regarding volunteer badges being in white metal or silver, quite a number of variations were produced or local purchased and consequently, very few official records of these badges exist.