Waist Belt Clasps (WBCs) were worn from 1855 when the tunic was introduced. WBCs replaced the both the waist belt and the shoulder belt worn by officers. The belt itself was and inch and half wide and made of enameled white leather.
The 1855 Dress Regulations specified that WBCs should be 'a round clasp having on the centre piece the number of the regiment, surmounted by a crown, both in silver, and on the outer circle, the regimental title in silver letters.' Whilst the 65th of Foot complied with this instruction, the 86th of Foot appears not to and had instead a Union rose surmounted by a crown in the centre of the WBC.
With the Cardwell reforms which took effect in 1881, a merging of the 65th and 84th took place and a new WBC was introduced that incorporated the Tiger of the 65th and the Union rose of the 84th.
With regards to the newly formed Volunteer Battalions, the 2nd VB wore a WBC similar to regular battalions but with the colour of metals reversed and the words '2nd Volr Battn' on the outer circle. It is unclear what the 1st VB (Hallamshires) wore as records don't appear to exist but it is possible that they continued to wear the Hallamshire Rifles WBC for some time.
Changes to the types of belt worn by officers were made in the 1902 Dress Regulations and with these changes, the sword belt and WBC was abolished.