The helmet plate is made of gilt metal and is an 8 pointed star with a laurel wreath and Garter surmounted by an Imperial Crown that displaces the top point of the star. The Garter has the motto ‘Honi soit qui mal y pense’. In the middle of the Garter is the Union Rose, in silver with a gilt centre, on a black velvet background.
Fixed to the bottom of the wreath is a silver universal scroll with the words ‘The York and Lancaster Regiment’. Although full dress for the army officially ceased in 1914, photographic evidence exists in the regimental archive that shows this type of helmet plate was still being worn with full dress by Officers at the Regimental Depot in Pontefract in 1931.
This appears to be the commonest of all York and Lancaster helmet plates, perhaps because it was used by the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Battalions.