The helmet plate backing is a standard 8 pointed star made of gilding metal with a laurel wreath surmounted by a St Edwards Crown. The Helmet Plate Centre is a detachable circlet and has the words ‘York and Lancaster’ with a Union Rose in white metal with a gilding metal centre. A black velvet background was worn to the HPC.
Although the Home Service Helmet finally went out of general use before WW2, it was (and still is) used by many bands within the British Army. After the ascension of Queen Elizabeth II in 1952, the St Edwards Crown was adopted thus dating this plate from 1952 to the regiment’s disbandment in 1968.