Regular Battalions Other Ranks Glengarry Badge Consisting of Backing Plate, HPC and Crown 1881 to 1901


The regimental numbering system disappeared in 1881 and at this time, Helmet Plate Centres began to be used as Glengarry badges. For economy reasons, it was decided to use a HPC and a separate gilding metal crown as the Glengarry badge. A blank backing plate was issued to hold both the crown and the HPC together and to ensure they fitted correctly on the headdress.

These badges can be also found with the crown and HPC struck in one piece or even with the crown fixed permanently onto the HPC (as was the norm with VB Glengarry badges).