Glengarry Badges-General Information


The Glengarry undress (or walking out) cap for Infantry Other Ranks was introduced in 1874. It is generally accepted that the Glengarry was worn until 1895 when it was replaced by the Field Service Cap. It is widely believed that only Scottish regiments continued to wear the Glengarry after this time. However some Glengarry badges to English regiments, including the York and Lancaster Regiment, exist that bear the Imperial (or Kings Crown) which would date these particular badges to post 1902.

The type of badges used on the Glengarry can be split into two periods. Firstly, the Pre Territorial era-1874 to 1881 which relate to badges that were made of brass and featured the regimental number in the centre and secondly, post 1881 reforms era which featured a Union Rose in the centre.

It should be noted that the pre Territorial era Glengarry badges are one of the most copied of all the York and Lancaster badges. The copying of these badges is nothing new. With an increase in national interest in the army during the South African War of 1899-1902, Fox and Company of Southsea made copies of Glengarry badges of the pre territorial era.

Even more than 100 years on, these copies can still be found and are quite difficult to distinguish from the originals. However, for the York and Lancaster Regiment, the main indicators of an original badge is that loops on the rear are fitted at the 12 and 6 o’clock positions whereas the Fox copies have loops at the 3 and 9 o’clock positions.