This is the second pattern collar badge to the regiment as per specification 1514 of 1888, records of which are contained in the National Archives reference WO359/5 p59.
The collar badge is a Long Bengal Tiger (tail curved over the back once with the tip pointing slightly upwards) and is made of gilding metal with 2 copper loops to the rear.
This collar badge was used as a cap badge between 1893 and 1897.
The introduction of the Field Service Cap (FSC) in 1893 led to the requirement for a cap badge that would fit the new head dress. Until a new cap badge design was agreed in 1897, the York and Lancaster regiment, in line with other infantry regiments, used a left facing collar badge in the cap. This is outlined in documents in the National Archives (reference WO359/5 p59), which relate to the second pattern collar badge and its use as a cap badge.
It is worth noting that the Royal Bengal Tiger is similar to the Long Bengal Tiger with the main difference being that the Long Tiger has a shorter tail looped over the hind quarters only once whereas the Royal Tiger has a second loop in its tail.