Prior to the introduction of the Territorial Force in 1908 the 1st Volunteer Battalion (Hallamshire) wore a cloth badge on their arm. These were authorised in 1903.
Underneath the 'Y&L' there was a '1' and underneath that was a 'V' indicating the 1st Volunteer Battalion. The badge would have been of red material with white lettering.
These solders wore in their caps the reversed metal (white metal with gilding metal coronet and rose) cap badges of the 1st Volunteer Battalion.
These men are also members of the band and wear the crossed trumpets cloth badge on their arms.